FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS, SEE THE AAFP'S CLINICAL PREVENTIVE SERVICES RECOMMENDATIONS HERE
USPSTF = United States Preventative Services Task Force
AAFP = American Academy of Family Physicians
AAP= American Academy of Pediatrics
ACE = American College of Endocrinology
JAMA = Journal of the American Medical Association
OGTT = Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
PREVENTION SCREENING RECOMMENDATIONS - IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER (SOURCES: AAFP, USPSTF, JAMA, AAP, ACE, AND UPTODATE.COM)
POSITIVE RESULTS IN RED
LINKS & DOWNLOADABLE ITEMS IN GREEN
ABDOMINAL AORTIC ANEURYSM (ballooning of the main artery supplying the abdomen and legs)
- How is this accomplished? An ultrasound is used to measure the diameter of the artery
POSITIVE RESULT: 50% larger than expected for age and sex. Most commonly, below the kidneys at ≥ 3.0cm diameter.
- Who is this screening for? Men ages 65-75 who have ever smoked in their lifetime. This is a one-time screen (if normal, not repeated)
ALCOHOL USE DISORDER - Unhealthy use in Adolescents and Adults
- How is this accomplished? Screening surveys - such as this one, found HERE.
POSITIVE RESULT: Score of 8 or higher, however guidance is recommended based on specific questions/answers
- Who is this screening for? All persons, ages 11 and up
ASPIRIN USE - For Cardiovascular Disease Prevention
*No longer recommended for anyone ≥ 60 years old
*Individuals age 40-59 with an ASCVD risk of 10% or greater may benefit from using aspirin.
DIABETES (Elevated blood sugars due to inadequate insulin levels OR inadequate insulin sensitivity)
- How is this accomplished? Fasting glucose, A1c level, and/or an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT).
POSITIVE RESULT: Fasting blood sugar ≥ 126, A1c ≥ 6.5%, or 2-hour post-load glucose level ≥ 200
- Who is this screening for? The USPSTF and AAFP agree that:
1) Individuals aged 40-70 who are overweight (BMI >25) or obese (BMI ≥ 30) should be screened
2) Pregnant women at 24 weeks gestational age should be screened using an oral glucose test
612 SW 3rd Street, Suite D
Lee's Summit, MO 64063
Outside hours appts available (varies)
Fax: (816) 900-0083